The first step in the process is to qualify you to serve your community. Interested persons need to meet the minimum requirements prior to applying:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Michigan Bureau of Fire Service Firefighter I/II Certification.
- State of Michigan Emergency Medical Technician (Basic, Specialist, or Paramedic) license.
- Be a resident of Independence Township.
- Be a citizen of the United States, or a permanent resident alien.
- Have a valid Michigan drivers license with a clean driving history.
- Be willing to submit to, and pass, a criminal history background check.
- If prior military, provide a copy of your DD-214 or NGB-22 indicating Honorable Discharge from service.
- Able to pass a standard medical exam (physical) and drug screen.
- Physically capable of performing the tasks required of a firefighter.
Please include copies of all the appropriate certifications and licenses with your application packet.