Wellhead Protection Program
Wellhead Protection Plan Wellhead Protection Plan Map
Water is Worth It EP4: Wellhead Protection Program Overview
What is Groundwater?
Groundwater is water below the surface that feeds wells and springs and maintains the level of rivers and lakes in dry weather. Groundwater domes from rain and snow that soaks into the ground and is filtered down under the surface. Groundwater can be brought to the surface using a pump or a well. Once pumped, the groundwater can be used for drinking or irrigating crops. If chemicals and pollutants are dumped on the ground they can get into the groundwater and make it unsafe to drink. The could also kill the plants and animals that might use the water.
Independence Township is dedicated to the preservation and protection of water quality. In order to prevent groundwater pollution, Independence Township has developed a joint wellhead protection program with neighboring communities along with County and State Agencies. This program is developed to protect drinking water in identified protection areas through cooperative management strategies and public education. The Wellhead Protection Program has prompted review of procedures that control activities that could affect groundwater quality by:
- Educating the public through workshops and other opportunities;
- Land use plan review;
- Enforcement of government regulations which are protective of groundwater.
- About 90% of the U.S. freshwater supply is groundwater.
- 80 billion gallons of groundwater accounts for 20% of the total water usage in the U.S.
- 53% of Americans get their water from groundwater:
- 37% of which are dependence on public water systems (more than 283,000 wells)
- The other 16% are from more than 15.1 million private household wells
What You Can Do
- Always recycle household chemicals like gasoline, motor oil, kerosene, insecticides, poisons, and paint.
- Never flush chemicals down the toilet.
- Never dump chemical onto the ground
For safe disposal of household chemicals, contact:
Independence Township Public Works Department
For more information, contact
Independence Township Wellhead Protection Program
6050 Flemings Lake Road
Clarkston, MI 48346