West Nile Virus
What Can You Do To Protect Yourself?
- Eliminating standing water that collects in birdbaths, boats, buckets, tires, unused pools, roof gutters and other containers.
- Use insect repellent. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the use of insect repellents containing active ingredients registered with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Two products that are registered with the EPA that have shown a high degree of effectiveness are DEET and Picaridin. Always follow manufacturer's directions carefully, especially when using on children.
- Wear protective clothing such as long sleeved shirts and pants.
- Limiting outdoor activity primarily between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Avoiding areas where mosquitoes may be present (i.e. shaded and wooded areas).
- Maintaining windo and door screening to keep mosquitoes out of buildings.
Independence Township is currently distributing Repel Sportsmen Max Pen-Sized Pump Spray containing 40% DEET. We will distribute at the Spring NoHaz on Saturday May 21, 2017 and at the Independence Day Fireworks. The spray is also available on the counters at the Independence Town Hall, Clarkston Independence Library, Parks, Recreation & Senior Center and at the Independence Township Department of Public Works.